Saturday, October 3, 2009

RIP Derrion Albert


Funeral Services are being held for 16 yr. old Derrion Albert of Chicago, an honor student who was fatally beaten after school by a group of teenage boys, four of which are being held without bond. Members of the NAACP, including President Benjamin Todd Jealous, have been expected to attend.

It really breaks my heart to hear about the senseless, ruthless beating of an honor student, with such a promising future. I think that it's really sad how teenage violence has so drastically gotten out of control. It terrifies thinking that this is the type of world I am raising my 4 yr. old son in, and how bad things could possibly be by the time he becomes a teenager.


I can only imagine the hurt and anger Derrion Albert's family feels. They are in my prayers, and will continue to be. We have got to start doing our part. Anyone can sit back and say "Those aren't my kids", and "That would never happen to my boy" but the truth of the matter is that we all play a part in this unecessary violence that is such a deadly extracurricular activity nowadays.


What happened to the days when kids played sports after school? What happened to socializing with your friends, and just hanging out? What kind of a world do we live in, where kids sit around and fight, and not just with their fists, but with BOARDS?


We have to start helping get these kids out of the street, and involved in positive things.

No comments:

Post a Comment